This post has been sponsored by MARS in partnership with Ahalogy. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
It's almost fall! I am so excited for the break from the heat. Since we live in such a hot climate, it feels like it's been summer for forever.
There are lots of things that I love about fall: pumpkins, football, cooler temps, and caramel apples. Caramel apples are one of my absolute favorite treats. The combination of the crunchy, tart apple and the sweet, creamy caramel is just perfection!
The addition of M&M's to really take caramel apples to a whole new level! Plus, M&M's are celebrating their 75th anniversary, so it's the perfect time to add some M&M's to just about anything. I picked up a 42oz M&M party pack of milk chocolate M&M's (on sale!) at Fry's so that I would have plenty to make M&M Caramel Apples.
My kids never complain about a trip to Fry's! Our bakery has cookies set out for kids, and my little ones love to make a pit stop at the bakery. Their favorite cookies are the M&M cookies, which are perfect grab-and-go treats when you don't have time to bake some yourself. And if you aren't sure where your local Kroger store is, you can find your nearest Kroger store here.
In addition to adding a bit of crunch and chocolate, the M&M's also give the caramel apples a lot of fun color! They make the apples feel more fun and festive.
One note about the recipe. You may think that you'll save a little time and just skip the step with the boiling water. Please don't! That step helps to remove wax and anything else that may make it difficult for the caramel to stick to the apples. Trust me on this, you'll be really glad that you took the extra few minutes to do that step.
M&M Caramel Apples
- 5 apples
- 1 11 oz. bag individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
- 2 T. water
- 2 c. M&M'S® Brand Chocolate Candies
- Push a popsicle stick into the core of each apple.
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Once at a boil, dip the apples in and quickly swirl around.
- Remove apples, and let them dry.
- Wipe off any wax or buildup.
- In a separate pot, heat caramels and water over medium low, stirring frequently, until melted.
- Dip apples in caramel, swirling to coat.
- Let caramel sit for about 10 seconds.
- Roll apples in M&M's, gently pressing them into the caramel.
- Place apples on greased parchment or wax paper.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.