Easy no bake dessert! No Bake Pistachio Bars are a recipe that requires no baking and comes together quickly. Great for a crowd or as a special treat!As a kid, box mix anything was a luxury. My mom would take me grocery shopping with her, and I would spend the whole time asking her to buy brownie mix, cookies, and any other sugary treats we passed.
My mom's response was always the same - "No, we can make it better at home". I was always so disappointed about that because everything that came in a box seemed so much cooler than what we could make at home.
Now, I find myself telling my kids the same thing - with a few exceptions. Pistachio pudding mix is one of my favorite box mix items. There's something about the green color and little bits of pistachio in it that I love.
And it makes a great, frosting-like filling in these No Bake Pistachio Bars! Even though there are quite a few steps, these bars come together quickly. These no bake bars are a great make-ahead option. They're also incredibly rich, and so a little goes a long way.
No Bake Pistachio Bars
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- ½ c . butter
- ¼ c . unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 T . granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon . vanilla extract
- 2 c . finely crushed chocolate graham crackers
- ½ c . finely chopped pistachios
- ¼ c . butter (softened)
- ½ c . pistachio instant pudding and pie filling mix
- ½ c . milk
- 1 ½ c . powdered sugar
- 6 oz . bittersweet chocolate (chopped)
- ¼ c . butter
- ½ c . coarsely chopped pistachios
- Line a 9-inch baking pan with foil, allowing for an overhang at the edges. Lightly grease the foil
- For the crust, cook egg, butter, cocoa powder, sugar, and vanilla together in a saucepan over medium-low heat just until it starts to bubble.
- Remove from heat, and stir in graham cracker crumbs.
- Stir in pistachios until combined.
- Press mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- To make the filling, beat butter, pudding mix, and milk together until well-combined.
- Add the powdered sugar, and beat in until combined.
- Spread pudding mixture over crust.
- Cover, and chill for about 1 hour, or until firm.
- To make the topping, melt chocolate and butter together over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Once mixture had melted and is combined, spread over pudding.
- Sprinkle pistachios over chocolate.
- Cover, and chill until firm, about 2 hours.
- Cut into bars, and serve.
Adapted from Better Homes & Garden's 100 Best Cookies.