Slow Cooker Barbecue Beef is an easy crock pot beef dinner recipe. This recipe makes tender barbecue beef with almost no prep!
This barbecue beef is ridiculously simple to make, and the recipe gives you super tender beef with plenty of barbecue flavor. Pile it high on buns for an incredibly easy weeknight dinner or weekend lunch.
What you’ll need to make slow cooker barbecue beef
- Onion: Sweet white or yellow onion works well.
- Chuck roast: Chuck roast works well because the fat helps to flavor and keep the meat from drying out as it cooks.
- Broth: I recommend using reduced-sodium or no salt broth or stock so that you can better control the sodium in the beef.
- Salt and pepper
- Barbecue sauce: Either make your own homemade barbecue sauce or use your favorite sauce.
How to make barbecue beef in the crock pot
Step 1: Add sliced onion to the bottom of slow cooker.
Step 2: Place roast over sliced onions fat side down.
Step 3: Sprinkle with salt and pepper. I use about 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
Step 4: Pour broth around the roast.
Step 5: Cover, and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
Step 6: Shred meat and discard fat.
Step 7: Return meat to slow cooker, and stir in barbecue sauce.
Step 8: Let sit in sauce about 30 minutes on low.
- Meat: A similar cut of meat, like a rump roast, will also work.
- Sauce: Feel free to use whatever type of barbecue sauce you like. Sweet sauce, sauces with heat, or any other type of barbecue sauce will work.
- Seasoning: I keep it simple with just salt and pepper. However, you can use a barbecue seasoning blend if you’d prefer.
- Cooking liquid: You can drain off most of the cooking liquid if you’d like less saucy beef.
The barbecue beef makes a great sandwich. It can also be served by itself or over baked potatoes.
The beef goes well with a number of sides like potato salad, baked beans, or fries.
Store any leftover beef in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The beef will keep for up to 4 days when properly stored in the fridge.
More easy slow cooker recipes!
If you’ve tried this slow cooker barbecue beef recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Slow Cooker Barbecue Beef
- 1 large sweet yellow or white onion sliced
- 3-4 pounds boneless chuck roast
- 1 cup beef broth or stock I use reduced-sodium
- kosher salt and pepper
- 3 cups homemade barbecue sauce or barbecue sauce of your choice
- Add sliced onion to the bottom of slow cooker.
- Place roast over sliced onions fat side down.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. I use about 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Pour broth around the roast.
- Cover, and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Shred meat and discard fat.
- Return meat to slow cooker, and stir in barbecue sauce.
- Let sit in sauce about 30 minutes on low.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!