Easy homemade pineapple upside-down cake recipe! This one-bowl homemade pineapple upside-down cake can be made from scratch and in the oven in 10 minutes.
This easy Pineapple-Upside Down Cake was one of my favorite desserts while I was growing up.
It’s so easy to make! This classic recipe is made in just one bowl, and it only takes about 10 minutes of prep to put together.
It’s such simple but satisfying dessert, and it’s perfect for throwing together whenever the urge for some cake strikes.
How to make pineapple upside-down cake
Step 1: Add melted butter to the cake pan.
Step 2: Top the melted butter with brown sugar.
Step 3: Place the pineapple slices in the pan.
Top tip >> I add one to the center, and then I fit the other rings around the center piece. It takes 7 pineapple rings total.
Step 4: To make the cake, add the ingredients to a mixing bowl, and mix just until combined.
Top tip >> Don’t overbeat the cake batter! The batter will end up rubbery if you overmix it.
Step 5: Pour the batter over the pineapple in the cake pan.
The pan will be pretty full (about 3/4).
Top tip >> I haven’t had the batter overflow, but if you are concerned, you can bake the cake on top of a cookie sheet to catch any overflow.
Step 6: Let the cake cool in the pan, and then invert to serve.
- Be careful not to over-mix the cake as this batter will become rubbery.
- The pan will be fairly full going into the oven. However, I’ve never had this cake overflow. If you’re worried about overflow, you can always put a baking sheet underneath the cake.
- The topping shouldn’t stick to the pan. If it does, simply replace the topping on the cake.
You can! Simply place a pitted, destemmed cherry in the center of each pineapple ring. Continue with the recipe as written.
The cake is best eaten the day it’s made. The cake will keep for up to 3 days, loosely covered, at room temperature.
More homemade cake recipes!
If you’ve tried this pineapple upside-down cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 20 ounce can sliced pineapple
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk¹
- 1/4 cup butter²
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Melt butter in bottom of 9-inch round cake pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over butter.
- Add pineapple slices over brown sugar. Set aside.
- Add cake ingredients to a large bowl.
- Mix on low for 30 seconds.
- Turn speed to high, and beat on high for 1 minute.
- Pour batter over pineapple slices, smoothing as needed.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.³
- Run a thin knife around the edge of the pan.
- Let cool to room temperature, and invert to serve.
- Anything from skim to whole milk will work. Dairy-free milks like almond milk will also work.
- An equal amount of shortening can be substituted for the butter.
- The cake will bake up to the top of the pan. If you’re concerned that the topping may bubble over, set the cake pan on a cookie sheet to bake it.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Originally published 3/22/16.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!