Easy homemade pineapple upside-down cake recipe! This one-bowl homemade pineapple upside-down cake can be made from scratch and in the oven in 10 minutes.
Published 3/22/16. Updated with new photos and tips 4/11/19.
It's funny how much more important tradition has become to me since I've had kids.
There are lot of foods that I find myself making because that's what my mom made for me.
I love being in the kitchen telling my kids about cooking with my mom and making the same things for them that she made for me.
This Pineapple-Upside Down Cake was one of my favorite desserts while I was growing up.
It's so simple to make - only one bowl and about 10 minutes of prep.
It's such a homey, satisfying dessert, and it's perfect for throwing together whenever the urge for some cake strikes.
How to make pineapple upside-down cake
Begin by adding melted butter to the cake pan.
Top the melted butter with brown sugar.
Add the pineapple slices to the pan.
I add one to the center, and then I fit the other rings around the center piece.
It takes 7 pineapple rings total.
To make the cake, add the ingredients to a mixing bowl, and mix just until combined.
Don't overbeat the batter! The batter will end up rubbery if you overmix it.
Pour the batter over the pineapple in the cake pan.
The pan will be pretty full (about ¾).
I haven't had the batter overflow, but if you are concerned, you can bake the cake on top of a cookie sheet to catch any overflow.
Let the cake cool in the pan, and then invert to serve.
Tips for making Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- Be careful not to over-mix the cake as this batter will become rubbery.
- The pan will be fairly full going into the oven. However, I've never had this cake overflow. If you're worried about overflow, you can always put a baking sheet underneath the cake.
- The topping shouldn't stick to the pan. If it does, simply replace the topping on the cake.
How long will pineapple upside-down cake keep?
This cake is best eaten the day it's made.
The cake will keep for up to 3 days at room temperature.
The cake can be stored, loosely covered, at room temperature.
More homemade upside-down cake recipes!
- Cranberry Upside Down Cake
- Pecan Pie Upside-Down Cake
- Cranberry Apple Upside Down Cake
If you’ve tried this pineapple upside-down cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes!
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 20 ounce can sliced pineapple
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk¹
- ¼ cup butter²
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Melt butter in bottom of 9-inch round cake pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over butter.
- Add pineapple slices over brown sugar. Set aside.
- Add cake ingredients to a large bowl.
- Mix on low for 30 seconds.
- Turn speed to high, and beat on high for 1 minute.
- Pour batter over pineapple slices, smoothing as needed.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.³
- Run a thin knife around the edge of the pan.
- Let cool to room temperature, and invert to serve.
- Anything from skim to whole milk will work. Dairy-free milks like almond milk will also work.
- An equal amount of shortening can be substituted for the butter.
- The cake will bake up to the top of the pan. If you're concerned that the topping may bubble over, set the cake pan on a cookie sheet to bake it.