Red Beans and Rice Skillet is the simplest way to make red beans and rice. This easy one-skillet meal is made with kielbasa, beans, and rice.
My family loves recipes that contain beans, and I love how easy and economical they are.
I also love that red beans and rice grew out of necessity. On Mondays, women would make a pot of red beans and let it cook all day while they did the wash. So smart!
This easy skillet recipe takes that classic, long-simmered red beans and rice and turns them into a simple weekight dinner that’s ready in just 40 minutes.
How To Make Red Beans And Rice In A Skillet
First, you’ll saute the vegetables (1). The vegetables should be soft, and the onion should be translucent.
Then, remove the vegetables to a plate, and cook the kielbasa in the same skillet you used to cook the veggies (2).
Remove the cooked kielbasa, and add the rice and chicken broth to the same skillet that you used to cook the kielbasa.
Bring to a boil, and then cover and cook the rice and broth until the rice is tender. Uncover, and stir in beans and seasonings (3).
Last, stir the cooked vegetables and kielbasa back in (4). Serve topped with fresh parsley.
Are Red Beans And Kidney Beans The Same?
No, red beans and kidney beans are different types of beans. However, canned red beans are sold alongside other common types of beans such as kidney and pinto beans.
Tips To Make The Best Red Beans And Rice
- If you’re short on time, feel free to use a pre-chopped onion/celery/green pepper blend.
- You can substitute an equal amount of andouille sausage for the kielbasa if you prefer.
- Use as much (or as little) Cajun seasoning as you like.
- If you like even more spice, serve with hot sauce.
What Side Dish Goes With Red Beans And Rice?
Cornbread and greens are classic partners for red beans and rice.
More Easy Skillet Recipes!
If you’ve tried this red beans and rice skillet recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Skillet Red Beans and Rice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 14 ounce polska kielbasa1 (diced)
- 1 cup medium or long-grain white rice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 14 ounce can red beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning2 (or to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high.
- Add the onion, celery, and green pepper, and sauté until vegetables become soft and translucent, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the garlic, and cook, stirring continuously, for about 30 seconds.
- Remove vegetables to a plate.
- Add kielbasa to now-empty skillet, and cook until heated through.
- Remove to plate.
- Add the rice and chicken broth to the now-empty skillet.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover, and cook until rice is tender and has absorbed the chicken broth, about 15-20 minutes.
- Uncover, and stir in the beans, seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Remove from heat, and stir in cooked vegetables and kielbasa.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh parsley.
- Can substitute andouille sausage if you prefer.
- Feel free to use as much or as little Cajun seasoning as you like.
- If you're short on time, feel free to use a pre-chopped onion/celery/green pepper blend.
- Nutrition values are estimates.