Best strawberry icebox cake! This easy no-bake Strawberry Icebox Cake recipe takes just 6 ingredients and minutes to make.
I love to bake cakes, but there are times when baking a cake isn’t the way to go.
Icebox cakes are fantastic in the summer months because you still get to enjoy cake without heating up the whole house!
They’re also great because you can make them ahead of time, and then just pop them in the fridge until you’re ready to serve dessert.
This strawberry icebox cake has layers of chocolate graham crackers, a sweetened fluffy cheesecake filling, and fresh strawberries.
It’s the summery, no-bake version of my strawberries and cream chocolate cake.
What is an icebox cake?
Icebox cakes are really more “cakes” than a traditional cake.
They’re no-bake desserts that make great make-ahead desserts.
Since they’re no-bake, they use things like chocolate wafers or graham crackers to form the cake part of the dessert.
As the cake sits, the graham crackers or wafers soften to form layers that taste like cake.
How to make strawberry icebox cake
Begin by beating the cream cheese and powdered sugar together until well-combined.
Set it aside while you make the whipped cream.
Add the heavy whipping cream to a large chilled bowl.
If you need more tips on making perfect whipped cream, check out this tutorial.
Beat the whipped cream until it reaches soft peak stage.
Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and continue beating it until it reaches stiff peak stage.
Fold the whipped cream and cream cheese mixture together until combined.
Reserve a generous 1/2 cup of the cream cheese mixture.
Place a thin layer of the whipped cream mixture in the bottom of the pan.
This helps to anchor the graham crackers.
Place a layer of graham crackers over the whipped cream mixture.
You will need to break the graham crackers to fit the pan.
Cover the graham crackers with half of the whipped cream mixture.
Place a single layer of strawberries over the whipped cream mixture.
Place another layer of graham crackers over the strawberries.
Top the graham crackers with the remaining half whipped cream mixture and another layer of strawberries.
Place the final row of graham crackers over the strawberries.
Top with reserved whipped cream.
Top whipped cream with a layer of strawberries.
Chill until ready to serve.
Do I really need to chill it before I serve it?
The graham crackers need time to soften before the cake is served.
Letting the cake chill before serving gives it plenty of time for the graham crackers to soften.
Do I have to use chocolate graham crackers?
No, you don’t.
The chocolate is delicious with the strawberries and whipped cream, but if you don’t like chocolate (or can’t find them), you can use regular honey graham crackers instead.
How long will it keep?
This cake is best eaten within 1-2 days.
After that, the strawberries can begin to get too soft and weepy.
More delicious no-bake desserts!
If you’ve tried this strawberry icebox cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Strawberry Icebox Cake
- 8 ounces cream cheese1 softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Base and Topping
- 15 chocolate graham crackers2
- 2 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/4 cup powdered sugar together until well-combined.
- In a separate large chilled bowl, beat 2 cups of heavy cream to soft peak stage.
- Add 1/3 cup powdered sugar and vanilla extract; beat to stiff peaks.
- Reserve generous 1/2 cup whipped cream as a topping.
- Fold together remaining whipped cream and cream cheese mixture.
- To put it all together, spread a thin layer of the cream mixture into the bottom of an 8x8-inch square baking pan.
- Place a layer of graham crackers over the cream, breaking grham crackers to fit.
- Spread half of the cream mixture on top.
- Place a single layer of sliced strawberries over the cream.
- Top with another layer of graham crackers, breaking them fit.
- Spread the remaining half cream mixture over the graham crackers.
- Add another layer of strawberries.
- Top with the final layer of graham crackers.
- Spread the reserved 1/2 cup whipped cream over the top.
- Top with remaining strawberries.
- Chill until the graham crackers have softened completely, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve chilled, and refrigerate any leftovers.
- Can use regular or 1/3-less fat.
- Can sub honey graham crackers.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!