I've made a lot of chocolate cakes over the years. A lot of chocolate cakes. But this strawberries and cream chocolate cake is one of my favorites.
The chocolate cake tastes like a cross between brownies and chocolate cake. It's a little richer and a little more dense than a regular light and fluffy chocolate cake.
The chocolate cake is topped with plenty of sweetened whipped cream and fresh strawberries. The sweet/tart strawberries and the creamy whipped cream are pretty much perfect with the rich chocolate cake.
More chocolate cake recipes!
If you’ve tried this strawberries and cream chocolate cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Strawberries and Cream Chocolate Cake
- 1 ¼ cups (150 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (35 g) Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cups (248 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (56 g) butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (105 g) buttermilk
- ½ cup (106 g) warm water not hot
- 2 cups (454 g) heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup (99 g) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 ounces strawberries sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour an 8-inch round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the sugar, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla.
- Whisk the flour mixture into the sugar mixture along with the buttermilk and warm water.
- Pour the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack to cool for 20 minutes, then loosen cake and flip out onto the rack to cool completely.
- To put it all together, beat heavy cream to soft peak stage.
- Add sugar and vanilla extract, and continue beating to form stiff peaks.
- Slice cake in half horizontally.
- Top bottom half of cake with ⅓ whipped cream.
- Lay a single layer of strawberries over whipped cream.
- Replace top layer of cake, and top with remaining whipped cream and strawberries.
- Cover, and chill any leftovers.