Best zucchini cake recipe! This easy one-bowl spice cake takes just minutes to stir together and makes a super moist zucchini cake.
I’ll say upfront that I’m in love with all things zucchini. I wish I had one of those neighbors who had more zucchini than they knew what to do with because I would gladly take it off their hands.
However, my husband is not a fan. In fact, zucchini is one of his least favorite foods. I’ve been winning him over with my zucchini bread, but when I made this Zucchini Spice Cake, I didn’t mention that it had zucchini in it.
And everyone ate it. And enjoyed it.
This cake is moist and with nicely spiced. It’s just a nice, basic spice cake without any hint of zucchini.
So, whether you have zucchini lovers or zucchini haters at your house, this cake is sure to please!
How To Make Zucchini Cake
Begin by whisking the eggs together (photo 1).
Add in the vegetable oil, buttermilk, and vanilla. Whisk in until combined (photo 2).
Add the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk in just until combined. The batter will be thick (photo 3).
Whisk in the zucchini until combined (photo 4).
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake!
Do You Peel Zucchini For Zucchini Cake?
No, there’s no need to peel the zucchini before you grate it. Also, there’s no need to squeeze the moisture out of the zucchini before you use it.
Simply grate the unpeeled zucchini and place in a collander until you’re ready to use it.
Frostings That Go Well With Zucchini Cake
My favorite pairing is this zucchini cake with cream cheese frosting.
This cake also goes well with my Whipped Brown Sugar Frosting. Sometimes I even I throw in a teaspoon or two of ground cinnamon towards the end when I make that frosting.
Does Zucchini Cake Need to Be Refrigerated?
It doesn’t have to be refrigerated. However, since the cake is so moist, I find that it keeps better if it is refrigerated.
Also, if you use either of the frostings that I recommend, those frosting need to be chilled.
Can I Freeze Zucchini Cake?
You can! This cake freezes well.
More Zucchini Recipes!
If you’ve tried this cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Zucchini Spice Cake
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk¹
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cup shredded zucchini2
- 3 cups all-purpose flour³ (spooned and leveled)
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg4
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs.
- Stir in vegetable oil, buttermilk, and vanilla until well-combined.
- Add flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in until just combined. Batter will be thick.
- Add shredded zucchini, and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for about 25-40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, and let the cake cool in pan before frosting.
- Low-fat or full-fat ok.
- Don't squeeze out moisture. Just shred the zucchini and place it in a collander until ready to use.
- To properly measure the flour, sift or stir the flour. Then, lightly spoon into a measuring cup without packing and level off.
- Allspice can be subbed for the nutmeg.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Originally published 7/24/14. Updated 6/10/19.