Best butterscotch rice krispies treats! These easy, no-bake treats take just 20 minutes to make. Just like scotcheroos without the peanut butter!
Growing up, rice krispies treats were one of my favorite desserts. I loved them so much that on several birthdays, I had them instead of birthday cake.
These butterscotch rice krispie treats are a yummy twist on the classic. They’re similar to scotcheroos, but these treats are made without peanut butter.
They are super tasty and super easy to make! They take just 20 minutes to whip up, so they’re perfect for those times when you are short on time. They’re also great for times when you want something delicious but don’t want to bake anything up.
Scotcheroos vs butterscotch Rice Krispie treats
I first tried scotcheroos when I lived in Iowa. For those of you who haven’t had one, they’re rice krispie treats made with Rice Krispie cereal, sugar, corn syrup, and peanut butter. They’re topped with a combination of melted chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.
Butterscotch rice krispies are similar in flavor and texture. They are made with the same cereal, but they omit the peanut butter and swap in brown sugar and dark corn syrup for granulated sugar and light corn syrup.
How to make butterscotch Rice Krispie treats
Step 1: Add the cereal to a large, heat-proof bowl. Set aside.
Step 2: Place the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup in a large saucepan.
Step 3: Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
Step 4: Stir in 2 cups of the butterscotch chips until melted.
Step 5: Pour the butterscotch mixture over the cereal and toss to combine.
Step 6: Pour the cereal mixture into the prepared pan.
Step 7: Melt the chocolate chips.
Step 8: Pour the melted chocolate chips over the butterscotch cereal bars.
Step 9: Melt the remaining butterscotch chips and drizzle over the chocolate.
Step 10: Chill until firm, about 1 hour.
How to store
I recommend storing the cereal treats in the refrigerator in an airtight container. I only cover the cut portion of the treats.
The bars can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week.
More no bake treats!
If you’ve tried this butterscotch rice krispies treat recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
You can subscribe to receive my latest recipe newsletters or follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for even more delicious food.
Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats
- 9×13 pan
- 8 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 cup butter
- 2 ¼ cups butterscotch chips divided
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips1
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Grease a 9×13-inch pan. Set aside.
- Place the rice krispies cereal in a large heat-safe bowl. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the sugar, corn syrup, and butter over medium heat, stirring regularly.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 2 cups butterscotch chips until melted.
- Pour the butterscotch mixture over the cereal.
- Mix until well-combined.
- Pour the cereal into the prepared pan and press into an even layer.
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt the chocolate chips and tablespoon of butter together over low heat.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the cereal and spread, if necessary.
- Melt the remaining 1/4 cup butterscotch chips in a separate small saucepan over low heat.
- Drizzle the melted butterscotch chips over the chocolate layer.
- Chill for at least 1 hour or until the mixture is set.
- Cut into squares to serve.
- Can substitute milk, semisweet, or bittersweet chocolate chips depending on how sweet you would like it to be.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @i_heart_eating and follow on Youtube @katedean and Pinterest @katedean for more!
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!
Comments & Reviews
These bars are BOMB!!!!
Thanks so much! I’m glad that you liked them. Thanks for commenting!
Shirley Casey says
Are these gluten free?
They *should* be. However, you’ll want to double check the ingredients, especially the butterscotch chips, to make sure that the brand you use is gluten-free.
Significant piece of work, Thank You!!
Thank you! =)