With all of the great cherries in the stores right now, I thought it was time for some cherry crisp.
I love fruity desserts like crisps and cobblers because they're so homey and comforting.
They are also great because you can use whatever yummy fruit is in season at the time.
I like to make my crisps in ramekins so that everyone can have their own dessert.
The pre-portioned servings just make it really easy to serve, and the pre-portioned servings make it easy to enjoy dessert without overindulging.
More fruit desserts!
- 5 c . fresh cherries (pitted)
- 2 T . granulated sugar
- 1 T . cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp . vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp . almond extract
- 1/4 c . whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 c . brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 c . granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp . ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp . salt
- 1/4 c . cold butter (in small pieces)
- 1/2 c . oats
- 1/3 c . almonds (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a medium bowl, toss together cherries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, and extracts. Set aside while you prepare the topping.
- For the topping, whisk together the flour, sugars, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the butter pieces, oats, and almonds; mix together until crumbly and clumpy.
- Divide the cherries between 6 ramekins.
- Mound the topping mixture evenly over the cherries.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned and cherries are bubbly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.