With summer right around the corner, it’s almost time for barbecues and pot-lucks. When we go to get-togethers like barbecues or pot-lucks, I almost always volunteer to bring a dessert because, so many times, the dessert gets overlooked.
I am particularly fond of bringing chocolate sheet cakes because they’re so easy to make. There’s no fancy frosting to fuss with, and it really doesn’t get much easier than cakes like this Rocky Road Chocolate Sheet Cake.
It makes a huge cake, which makes it great for big get-togethers, and it only takes about 30 minutes to make and ice it. So, it’s also perfect for those times when you have to hurry and make something last-minute.
This cake is based on my grandma’s chocolate sheet cake recipe. It’s my favorite chocolate cake recipe, and I think it’s hard to beat. If you try this easy, delicious cake, you just might find that it becomes a family favorite at your house, too!
Rocky Road Chocolate Sheet Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Rocky Road Icing
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 10 ounce package mini marshmallows
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a rimmed cookie sheet (I use a 15x11-inch). Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Once butter has melted, stir in water and cocoa powder; bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, add buttermilk, and stir to combine.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Add the yogurt, eggs, and vanilla, and stir until well-combined.
- Stir in sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt until just combined.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- While the cake is baking prepare the icing.
- For the icing, combine the butter, cocoa, and buttermilk. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, and add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and half of marshmallows. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle remaining half marshmallows over hot cake.
- Pour icing over hot cake, and spread evenly over cake.
- Sprinkle with chopped almonds.