These Chocolate Chocolate Cherry Muffins are moist, delicious chocolate muffins that are studded with with tart cherries and melt-y mini chocolate chips – they are just shy of being dessert for breakfast.Lest you feel guilty, these muffins actually fall toward the healthier end of the muffin spectrum. They have less sugar and less oil than most muffins, so go ahead and enjoy a little dessert for breakfast.
If you’re looking for an even desert-ier muffin, my chocolate chocolate chip muffins may be more to your liking.
More muffin recipes!
Chocolate Chocolate Cherry Muffins
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips divided
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries chopped in large pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or lightly grease with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together water, oil, vinegar, vanilla, and egg until well-combined.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined.
- Stir in 1/4 cup mini chips and cherries until just incorporated.
- Scoop batter into prepared tins. I used an ice cream scoopful per tin.
- Bake for about 12-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean (it may have a little chocolate on it from the chips, but it shouldn’t have crumbs on it).
- Cool in tin for 5 minutes, and then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
- Serve muffins warm or at room temperature.
adapted from Cooking Light’s The New Way to Cook Light
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!