Oatmeal is one of the few healthy foods that I can get my three year-old to eat for breakfast, which means we end up eating a lot of oatmeal.I like to find new flavors and ways to make it so we don’t get tired of it. Our regular rotation includes individual baked oatmeals and overnight steel cut oats. This is special occasion oatmeal (ok, that sounds like an oxymoron, but go with me on this).
Since you make it in this Overnight Crockpot German chocolate Oatmeal in the slow cooker, it’s ready to serve in the morning, which is great for times when holidays (like Valentine’s Day) or other special occasions fall on weekdays. There’s no sugar in the oatmeal because I put the sugar on after the oatmeal is done. The brown sugar melts to form a caramel-y sauce, and I’ve found that we don’t use as much sugar if we add it at the end.
You may also like…
Overnight Crockpot German Chocolate Oatmeal
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 7 cups water
- 13.5 ounce can lite coconut milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Brown sugar
- Sweetened shredded coconut
- Chopped pecans
- Grease slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, stir together oats, water, coconut milk, and cocoa powder.
- Pour into slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- To serve, top (in order) with brown sugar, pecans, shredded coconut to taste.