Yogurt muffins are soft and fluffy muffins that are made with healthy ingredients like Greek yogurt and whole wheat flour.
Muffins are practically a food group at my house! They make a great on-the-go breakfast or an easy snack, and the flavor combos are practically endless.
This yogurt muffin recipe is one of my favorite muffin recipes. It uses healthier ingredients like Greek yogurt and whole wheat flour, but the muffins are still soft and moist (and they don’t taste “healthy”).
Also, this is a one-bowl muffin recipe that’s super easy to mix by hand. So, not only do the muffins taste great, but they’re also really easy to make.
How To Make Yogurt Muffins
In a large bowl, whisk the egg and sugar together until well-combined. Add the oil, milk, yogurt, and lemon zest. Whisk until combined.
Add the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk just until incorporated.
Don’t overmix the muffin batter. Overmixing will give you tough, dense muffins.
Fold in the cranberries just until incorporated. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
Top the muffin batter with chopped pecans and a sprinkle of raw sugar, if using. Bake for about 18-25 minutes. The muffins should be light brown, and the tops should spring back when gently pressed.
Tips For Making These Muffins
- I recommend stirring this batter by hand. The batter is easy to make. Also, mixing it by hand helps to prevent overmixing.
- You can sub all-purpose flour for the whole-wheat flour, if you prefer.
- This recipe will work with anything from skim milk to whole milk.
- You can use fat-free or whole-milk vanilla Greek yogurt.
- If you use full-fat dairy products in this recipe, you’ll end up with a slightly moister muffin.
- The pecans and the raw sugar are optional, but they add a nice crunch to the muffins.
More Muffin Recipes!
If you’ve tried this yogurt muffin recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk1
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt2
- 1 lemon (zested)
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour3
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries (roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans (optional)
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease or line a 12-cup muffin tin. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg and sugar.
- Stir in oil, milk, yogurt, and lemon zest.
- Add flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; stir until just combined.
- Fold in cranberries.
- Scoop batter into muffin tin cups.
- Top with chopped pecans and raw sugar, if using.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes, or until lightly browned and top springs back when lightly pushed.
- Any milk from skim to whole milk will work.
- I use fat-free, but you can use whole-milk, if you prefer.
- Can sub all-purpose flour for whole-wheat flour.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Originally published 3/26/12. Updated with new photos and tips 8/24/19.