Easy chicken tikka masala recipe makes an easy weeknight dinner. This simple chicken tikka masala is made with pantry staples and delivers tons of flavor!
We don’t eat out very often these days. With four young kids, it can be difficult to sit down and enjoy a meal at a restaurant.
Instead, I make a lot of easy versions of our restaurant favorites – like this easy chicken tikka masala recipe.
I first had chicken tikka masala at a restaurant when I visiting London, and I’ve been hooked ever since!
What is chicken tikka masala?
Chicken tikka masala is traditionally made up of chicken tikka, grilled chunks of chicken, in a spiced tomato masala sauce.
This recipe uses chicken that’s cooked in a skillet for an easier, one pan version.
What to serve with chicken tikka masala
Chicken tikka masala is great served with naan bread or rice. We are especially fond of serving it with garlic naan or over basmati rice.
More takeout copycat dinner recipes!
If you’ve tried this easy chicken tikka masala recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Easy Chicken Tikka Masala
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium white or yellow onion (diced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon garam masala spice blend*
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (in 1-inch pieces)
- Salt and pepper
- 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions to skillet, and cook until starting to come translucent. and ginger until softened.
- Stir in garlic, ginger, and spice blend. Let cook 30 seconds, stirring regularly.
- Add chicken to skillet, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring regularly, until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in tomatoes, and bring to a simmer.
- Let simmer 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Remove from heat, and stir in cream.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro, if desired.