Easy chicken tikka masala recipe makes an easy weeknight dinner. This simple chicken tikka masala is made with pantry staples and delivers tons of flavor!
We don’t eat out very often these days. With four young kids, it can be difficult to sit down and enjoy a meal at a restaurant.
Instead, I make a lot of easy versions of our restaurant favorites – like this easy chicken tikka masala recipe.
I first had chicken tikka masala at a restaurant when I visiting London, and I’ve been hooked ever since!
What Is Chicken Tikka Masala?
Chicken tikka masala is traditionally made up of chicken tikka, grilled chunks of chicken, in a spiced tomato masala sauce.
This recipe uses chicken that’s cooked in a skillet for an easier, one pan version.
What To Serve With Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken tikka masala is great served with naan bread or rice. We are especially fond of serving it with garlic naan or over basmati or jasmine rice.
More Restaurant Copycat Dinner Recipes!
If you’ve tried this easy chicken tikka masala recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Easy Chicken Tikka Masala
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium white or yellow onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon garam masala spice blend*
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts in 1-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions to skillet, and cook until starting to come translucent. and ginger until softened.
- Stir in garlic, ginger, and spice blend. Let cook 30 seconds, stirring regularly.
- Add chicken to skillet, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring regularly, until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in tomatoes, and bring to a simmer.
- Let simmer 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Remove from heat, and stir in cream.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro, if desired.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @i_heart_eating and follow on Youtube @katedean and Pinterest @katedean for more!
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!
Comments & Reviews
I made this for dinner and it was better than my local place. Guess I won’t be picking up from there any more! LOL
That’s great! I’m so glad that you liked it! Thanks for commenting. =)
Easy to make and was delicious. thanks!
I’m so glad you liked it! Thank you for coming back to comment! =)
Your recipe note offers a substitution for “garam masala blend” that calls for garam masala … garam masala IS a blend. I don’t understand what the substitution is accomplishing.
My grocery store offers two options: “garam masala”, which is that particular spice mixture, and “garam masala blend”. The Garam Masala Blend is garam masala + smoked paprika + cayenne pepper. Hope that helps!