Easy crock pot hot chocolate recipe! This simple slow cooker hot chocolate is made with milk, sugar, chocolate chips, and more!
Hot chocolate is the best way to end a cold winter day. This easy crock pot hot chocolate recipe is a great way to make hot chocolate for a crowd.
This recipe is different than my other slow cooker hot chocolate recipe that uses heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk. This recipe uses just a few simple pantry-staple ingredients to make a big batch of delicious hot cocoa!
Ingredient notes and substitutions
- Milk: Any milk from skim milk to whole milk will work. Whole milk will give you richer, creamier hot chocolate.
- Evaporated milk: Regular or fat-free evaporated milk will work.
- Cocoa powder: I use regular unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Semisweet chocolate chips: Feel free to use bittersweet chocolate chips for hot cocoa that isn’t as sweet, or use milk chocolate chips for sweeter hot chocolate.
- Brown sugar: Brown sugar gives the hot chocolate a note of caramel.
- Vanilla extract: You can use a different flavored extract, like peppermint extract, if you’d like.
- Cornstarch: The cornstarch helps to make the hot chocolate creamier.
How to make easy crock pot hot chocolate
Step 1: Add the milk, evaporated milk, and cocoa powder to the crock pot. Whisk to combine. The cocoa powder won’t fully incorporate until the milk is warm.
Step 2: Mix in the chocolate chips, brown sugar, and vanilla.
Step 3: Cover, and set to low.
Step 4: Let the cocoa heat for 40 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes.
Step 5: After 40 minutes have passed, add in the cornstarch, and mix until fully incorporated.
Step 6: Let the mixture continue heating for about 80 more minutes, stirring every 20 minutes.
Step 7: Switch to keep warm to serve. Serve with your desired toppings.
- Making hot chocolate in the slow cooker is a great way to make hot cocoa for a crowd. It’s also perfect for hot chocolate bars.
- Keep it low! I don’t recommend heating the milk on high. It can curdle when heated on high.
- Don’t skip the cornstarch! The little bit of cornstarch helps to make the hot chocolate smooth and velvety.
Store any leftover hot chocolate in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The hot chocolate will keep for about 2-3 days when properly stored in the fridge.
More crock pot recipes!
If you’ve tried this easy crock pot hot chocolate recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Easy Crock Pot Hot Chocolate
- 4 cups milk
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cornstarch
- Add the milk, evaporated milk, and cocoa powder to the crock pot. Whisk to combine. The cocoa powder won’t fully incorporate until the milk is warm.
- Mix in the chocolate chips, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- Cover, and set to low.
- Let the cocoa heat for 40 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes.
- After 40 minutes have passed, add in the cornstarch, and mix until fully incorporated.
- Let the mixture continue heating for about 80 more minutes, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Switch to keep warm to serve.
- Serve with your desired toppings.
- This recipe was made using a 5 quart slow cooker. A similar sized crock pot, like a 4 quart, would also work.
- Feel free to adjust the sugar to taste.
- I don’t recommend heating the milk on high.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!