This Easy Orange Chicken is made in less than 20 minutes on the stove (no deep frying necessary!). This easy orange chicken recipe is the best quick and easy take-out.
This quick and easy orange chicken recipe takes about 20 minutes to make. I streamlined the recipe and skipped all of the messy, time-consuming breading and frying steps.
Instead, this orange chicken gets a quick turn on the stove to cook it. Then, the sauce is reduced and thickened and the chicken is tossed in the sauce.
This keeps the recipe quick and also means that it’s healthier than the fried version. So the recipe has super flavor but is easy enough for a fast weeknight dinner!
How to make easy orange chicken
Step 1: In a medium bowl, whisk the orange juice, tomato sauce, frozen orange juice concentrate, orange marmalade, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and chili garlic sauce. Set aside.
Step 2: Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and add the avocado oil.
Step 3: Add the chicken and cook until it reaches 165F. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
Step 4: Add the sauce to the now-empty skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until reduced to about 1/2 cup.
Step 5: Stir together the cornstarch and water. Add into the sauce and cook until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
Step 6: Return the chicken to the skillet and toss with sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced green onions, if desired.
- Sauce: Feel free to adjust the sweetness and heat to taste. We like the sauce to be similar to Panda Express orange chicken. If you like the sauce less sweet, you can use less brown sugar. If you like more heat, increase the chili sauce or add red pepper flakes.
- Oil: I like to use avocado oil, but any neutral oil with a high smoke point will work.
- Serving: Orange chicken can be served over steamed white or brown rice.
For a lower-carb option, serve the orange chicken with steamed vegetables like steamed broccoli. Also, feel free to sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced green onions just before serving.
Store any leftover orange chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The chicken will keep for up to 4 days when properly stored in the fridge.
More easy chicken recipes!
If you’ve tried this easy orange chicken recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Easy Orange Chicken Recipe
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 6 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed1
- 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce2
- 1 clove garlic minced,
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil3
- 2 pounds diced chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lukewarm water
- In a medium bowl, stir fresh orange juice, tomato sauce, orange juice concentrate, orange marmalade, brown sugar, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, garlic, and ginger together until combined. Set aside.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add the avocado oil and carefully swirl around the pan.
- Stir in the diced chicken breast, and cook through, stirring regularly. Chicken should reach a temperature of 165F.
- Remove chicken to a plate and tent with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Add the sauce to the now-empty skillet.
- Cook, stirring the entire time, until the sauce has reduced to about 1/2 cup. Reduce the heat if necessary.
- In a small bowl, stir the cornstarch and water together.
- Stir into the sauce and cook for about 1-2 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Stir the cooked chicken back into the sauce and toss to coat in sauce.
- For a more savory sauce, don’t pack the brown sugar or reduce to taste.
- For a spicier sauce, use more to taste. If you prefer even more heat, use red pepper flakes to taste.
- Or another neutral oil with a high smoke point
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!