Homemade apple pie filling takes just minutes to make, and it tastes so much better than canned filling! This easy recipe is perfect to have in the fridge or the freezer for whenever you need it.
Homemade apple pie filling is so easy to make! This simple filling is made with just a few ingredients, and it takes just minutes to put together.
Homemade apple pie filling is so much better than canned filling, and with this quick recipe, you can have it on hand any time!
What type of apples are best for apple pie filling?
Cooking apples, like Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Fuji, are perfect in apple pie filling. Using a combination of apples helps to add more flavor to the filling.
How to make homemade apple pie filling
Step 1: Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples.
Tip >> I highly recommend an apple peeler/corer/slicer if you’re going to make a lot of filling.
Step 2: Drizzle the lemon juice over the apple slices.
Step 3: Add the water, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cornstarch, and apple pie spice in a large pot.
Step 4: Whisk until well-combined.
Step 5: Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally, and cook for 1 minute or until just thickened.
Step 6: Add the apples to the pan, and stir to incorporate.
Step 7: Reduce the heat, and cook until the apples have softened, about 10 minutes.
Step 8: Remove from heat. Let the apple filling cool for 10 minutes before using.
How to make the filling thicker
The filling is great as-is, but if you’d like to make it even thicker, it’s easier to do so. There are a couple of ways to get a thicker filling.
You can add more cornstarch, or you could use less liquid (water, juice, or cider). Either one will result in a thicker filling.
Can I can this filling?
No, this apple pie filling uses cornstarch as a thickener, and it isn’t recommended to can pie filling that has been thickened with cornstarch. However, you can freeze this filling.
Can apple pie filling be frozen?
It can! Simply let the cooked filling cool to room temperature.
Place the cooled filling in freezer-safe containers. You’ll need about 4-5 cups for a 9″ pie.
The filling can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days. The filling can also be frozen for longer storage.
More apple recipes!
If you’ve tried this homemade apple pie filling recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Homemade Apple Pie Filling
- 5 cups baking apples peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 ½ cups water apple juice, or apple cider
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the apple slices.
- Add the water, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cornstarch, and apple pie spice in a large pot.
- Whisk until well-combined.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally, and cook for 1 minute or until just thickened.
- Add the apples to the pan, and stir to incorporate.
- Reduce the heat, and cook until the apples have softened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Let the apple filling cool for 10 minutes before using.
- Apples: Baking apples like Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Fuji work well. Using a combination of apples makes for a more flavorful filling.
- Water: You can use water, apple juice, or apple cider. Also, feel free to use a combination of liquids.
- Apple pie spice: Apple pie spice gives the filling great flavor. Feel free to use more or less spice to taste.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!