No fry fried ice cream recipe shows you how to make fried ice cream with a crispy coating without frying it! This simple five-ingredient recipe makes an easy dessert.
I’ve never met a Mexican or Tex-Mex dessert that I didn’t like. When I worked at a Mexican restaurant in college, I fell in love with the desserts. They had flan, buñuelos, and fried ice cream, and I liked them all.
As great as that fried ice cream was, frying foods can be messy and time-consuming. This easy no-fry version gives you a scoop of ice cream with a sweet, crisp coating without all of the work and mess that goes along with frying.
How to make no fry fried ice cream
Step 1: Place scoops of ice cream on a tray or in a muffin tin. Cover loosely with plastic wrap, and freeze until solid, about 1 hour.
Step 2: Preheat oven to 350 F.
Step 3: Toss corn flakes, sugar, and cinnamon together on a small rimmed baking sheet.
Step 4: Drizzle with butter, and toss to combine.
Step 5: Bake corn flake mixture until toasted, about 4-5 minutes. Let corn flake mixture cool completely.
Step 6: Roll each scoop of ice cream in corn flake mixture until well-coated.
Step 7: Re-freeze scoops for at least 2 hours, or until frozen solid. Can serve topped with a drizzle of honey, chocolate sauce, or whipped cream.
The no-fry version is largely made the same way as the fried restaurant version. The biggest difference is the way that the outside coating is crisped up. With the fried version, the ice cream is briefly dipped in hot oat to fry the coating. With this version, the coating is crisped in the oven so there’s no need to fry it.
Absolutely! Feel free to use another flavor of ice cream – like cinnamon or caramel – if you prefer.
After step 9, the ice cream balls can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and stored in the freezer for about 1 month.
More dessert recipes!
If you’ve tried this no fry fried ice cream recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
No-Fry Fried Ice Cream
- 6 scoops vanilla ice cream*
- 2 ½ cups corn flakes crushed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- Place scoops of ice cream on a tray or in a muffin tin.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap, and freeze until solid, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Toss corn flakes, sugar, and cinnamon together on a small rimmed baking sheet.
- Drizzle with butter, and toss to combine.
- Bake corn flake mixture until toasted, about 4-5 minutes.
- Let corn flake mixture cool completely.
- Roll each scoop of ice cream in corn flake mixture until well-coated.
- Re-freeze scoops for at least 2 hours, or until frozen solid.
- Can serve topped with a drizzle of honey, chocolate sauce, or whipped cream.
- For the best results, I recommend choosing a good-quality vanilla ice cream.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!