Peanut butter brownies are chocolate brownies with a peanut butter cheesecake swirl. Chocolate peanut butter brownie recipe is perfect for anyone who loves chocolate and peanut butter!
A few months ago, I put together a post on how to make brownies. It has tons of info and tips and tricks for making great basic brownies.
But sometimes you want a brownie that’s anything but basic.
These peanut butter brownies are chocolate brownies with rich peanut butter cheesecake swirled throughout the brownie.
The brownies are really easy to make, but they look like they’re a lot more work than they are.
How to make peanut butter brownies
To start, you’ll melt the butter and add it to your mixing bowl. Then, you’ll mix in the eggs and vanilla until combined.
Next, you’ll stir in the dry ingredients just until combined. Then, you’ll add the chocolate chips.
To make the peanut butter filling, you’ll beat the cream cheese until soft and smooth. Then, you’ll beat in the the peanut butter and sugar.
Next, you’ll mix in the egg and milk. Then, reserve 1 cup of the brownie batter, and spread the remaining batter in the prepared baking pan.
Carefully spread the peanut butter filling over the brownie batter, and then drop the reserved brownie batter over the peanut butter filling.
Next, swirl the brownie and peanut butter portions together, and then bake!
How to tell when brownies are done
Brownies are different than other baked goods when it comes to testing for doneness. When you bake brownies, you’ll want some fudgy crumbs still attached to the toothpick.
If you have wet batter on the toothpick, keep baking! You just don’t want a clean toothpick because then the brownies will be overbaked.
For fudgier brownies…
If you like your brownies on the fudgier side, let them come to room temperature and then chill them before cutting and serving.
How to store the brownies
These brownies are best stored covered in the fridge.
More brownie recipes!
If you’ve tried this peanut butter brownie recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Peanut Butter Brownies
- 1 cup butter (melted)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips*
Peanut Butter Swirl
- 2-8 ounce packages cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter**
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, eggs, and vanilla together until smooth.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a separate medium bowl.
- Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture, and stir until just incorporated.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Remove 1 cup brownie batter for topping, and set aside.
- Spread remaining batter into prepared baking pan.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the peanut butter and sugar, and beat together until smooth.
- Beat in egg and milk on low just until combined.
- Carefully spread peanut butter mixture over brownie batter.
- Drop reserved batter by tablespoonfuls over filling.
- Cut through batter with a knife to swirl. You won't want to overdo the swirling or you'll end up without distinct swirls.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few fudgy crumbs.
- Let come to room temperature before serving.
- Cover and chill leftovers.
**I don't recommend using natural peanut butter in this recipe. ***Nutrition values are estimates.