Pineapple upside-down cupcakes are moist vanilla cupcakes topped with buttery, brown sugar and pineapple topping.
My mom is all about healthy food. She is the one who introduced me to tofu and quinoa and pretty much every other healthy thing I eat.
Even though she’s an amazing cook and baker, my mom didn’t make dessert very often (or at least it didn’t seem like it was very often because I have a huge sweet tooth). One of my favorite things that she made, though, was pineapple upside-down cake – due in large part to the buttery brown sugar topping.
I like to make pineapple upside-down cake as cupcakes because I’m terrible at cutting cakes (and bars and pretty much everything else). Seriously, I can’t cut a straight line no matter how hard I try, and I end up making a big ol’ mess.
You’ll have to do a little maneuvering to make the pineapple ring fit in the muffin cups, but, otherwise, these cupcakes are a snap to make.
Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes
Moist vanilla cupcakes topped with buttery, brown sugar pineapple topping.
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- 20 ounce can pineapple slices
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With a hand mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together 4 tablespoons butter and granulated sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla extract; beat until well-combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Stir in the flour mixture until just barely incorporated.
- Add buttermilk and stir until just combined.
Melt remaining 1/4 cup butter, and divide evenly among bottom of muffin tins.
Top with brown sugar in each tin.
- Add 1 slice of pineapple over brown sugar, fitting it as needed.
- Divide batter evenly between muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned and toothpick inserted into one comes out without crumbs.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, and then loosen and invert onto serving platter.
*I sometimes use 1/2 T. pineapple juice and then filled the cup the rest of the way with milk.
**Nutrition facts have been estimated.
Nutrition facts per serving (1g)
More pineapple recipes!