Best sponge cake recipe! This easy sponge cake recipe makes a light and airy foam cake with just a few simple ingredients.
There are fancy cakes and then there are basic, everyday cakes.
This sponge cake is a great everyday cake. Serve it as-is or dust it with powdered sugar for a simple dessert.
Or use it to make any number of other desserts. It also makes a great base for other desserts like strawberry shortcake and Victoria sponge cake.
What is Sponge Cake?
Sponge cake is a basic foam cake that’s primarily made with beaten eggs, sugar, and flour.
How to Make Sponge Cake
Preheat the oven, and grease the bottom of a loaf pan. Don’t grease the sides of the pan. The ungreased pan will give the batter something to cling to and make for a taller cake.
Add the egg whites, water, and cream of tartar to a medium mixing bowl (1).
Beat the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks. You can tell when the egg whites are at stiff peaks because they will hold their shape when you pull the mixer out (2).
Add the egg yolks and sugar to a mixing bowl, and beat until pale and thickened (3-4). There’s no need to wash the beaters in between beating the egg whites and egg yolks as long as you beat the egg whites first.
Mix in the vanilla and salt. Then stir in the flour (5).
Fold in the beaten egg whites just until incorporated. Don’t overmix or the egg whites will lose their volume (6).
Pour the batter into the prepared pan (7).
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with just a few crumbs. You don’t want wet cake batter, but there should be just a couple of crumbs that are attached to the toothpick (8).
What is the Difference Between Regular Cake and Sponge Cake?
A regular cake, or butter cake, is a cake that is usually made with butter, eggs, flour, sugar, and a leavening agent.
Sponge cakes, a type of foam cake, are made with beaten eggs, flour, and sugar. The beaten eggs both lightness and structure to the cake.
What is the Difference Between Sponge Cake and Chiffon Cake?
Sponge cakes and chiffon cakes are pretty similar. The main difference between the two is that chiffon cakes are made with oil. Since they’re made with oil, chiffon cakes are richer than sponge cakes.
How to Serve Sponge Cake
Sponge cake is fine on its own, but it makes a great base for other desserts.
My favorite way to serve this cake is to use it as a base for strawberry shortcake. It’s a delicious summer dessert that’s so simple to make.
First, I slice and then cube the cake. Then, I layer the cubes of cake with homemade whipped cream and fresh sliced strawberries.
How Long Will Sponge Cake Keep?
This cake will keep, covered, at room temperature for 2-3 days.
More Cake Recipes!
If you’ve tried this sponge cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease or line just the bottom of a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Do not grease the sides of the pan. Set aside.
- Separate the whites into one medium bowl and the yolks into a separate large bowl.
- Add the cream of tartar and water to the bowl with the egg whites.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they hold stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Add the sugar to the bowl with the yolks and beat until thickened and pale yellow.1
- Mix in the vanilla extract and salt.
- Stir in the flour just until combined.
- Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.2
- Carefully pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a couple crumbs.
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan before removing.
- No need to wash the beaters in between.
- Don't overmix when folding in the egg whites or they will lose their volume.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!