So, I’m not much for making pie crusts. I’m just not very good with them. I need to take some lessons from my mom because she makes a mean pie crust.
Until then, though, I’m sharing Apple Crumb Pie recipe, and I hope you’ll forgive me for not sharing a pie crust recipe along with it.
Since I’m not a huge pie crust person, I prefer pies with non-crust toppings, like this brown sugar crumb topping. It gives this pie kind of an apple crisp like quality.
I mix in a little Greek yogurt into the filling. If you’d ever had a sour cream apple pie, the Greek yogurt gives it that same creamy tartness that balances out the sweetness in the pie.
If you’ve tried this apple crumb pie recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Apple Crumb Pie
- 1 recipe for a 9-inch single crust pie
- 3 c . peeled and sliced baking apples
- 1 tsp . fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 c . granulated sugar
- 1 tsp . ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp . ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp . ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp . ground nutmeg
- 3/4 c . plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp . vanilla extract
- 2 T . all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c . all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c . brown sugar
- 1/4 c . granulated sugar
- 3 T . butter
- Prepare pie crust according to recipe or package directions to the point where it's ready for filling.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, toss together sliced apple, lemon juice, sugar, and spices.
- Toss Greek yogurt and vanilla into apple slices.
- Stir in flour.
- Add filling to prepared pie crust.
- Place on a baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and sugars for the topping.
- Cut in butter to form crumbles.
- Top pie with crumbles, and continue to bake for about 20 more minutes, or until topping is lightly browned and apples are hot and bubbly.
- If pie crust begins to overbrown, loosely tent with foil.
- Nutrition values are estimates.