I haven’t been able to win my kids over to sweet potatoes yet.
I love sweet potato everything – sweet potato fries, baked sweet potatoes, sweet potato casserole, and so on. These Baked Sweet Potato Donuts take leftover sweet potatoes and turn them into something deliciously fantastic.
These baked donuts are light and soft – like sweet potato spice cake.
They’re topped with a brown butter maple glaze that is just plain amazing.
One note – you’ll want to use plain mashed sweet potatoes.
So, plan to make a little extra or set some aside when you make sweet potato casserole.
Baked Sweet Potato Donuts
Sweet Potato Donuts
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar (, packed)
- 1/4 cup butter (, melted)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup plain mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Maple Browned Butter Glaze
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (, packed)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavor or extract (, optional)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans (, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 Grease 2 6-well doughnut pans with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Stir together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
- Whisk together brown sugar, butter, oil, buttermilk, egg, egg yolk, sweet potatoes, and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, stirring just until no streaks of flour remain.
- Spoon mixture into prepared doughnut pans. They will be full.
- Bake until tops spring back when lightly pressed, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove doughnuts from pans and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Once the donuts have cooled, prepare the glaze.
- To make the glaze, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat just until it begins to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in brown sugar, cream, and maple syrup. Return pan to low heat and cook until bubbly, about 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in powdered sugar, vanilla, and maple flavor until smooth.
- Dip tops of cooled donuts into glaze, and return to cooling rack.
- Sprinkle with pecans, if using.
- Let glaze set up before serving, about 10-15 minutes.
Slightly adapted from Allrecipes.
More sweet potato recipes!
Coconut Sweet Potato Casserole from Bread Booze Bacon
Sweet Potato Dinner Rolls from Kleinworth & Co.
Candied Sweet Potato Stacks from Cooking with Curls
Cranberry Sweet Potato Casserole from Home.Made.Interest.
Harvest Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner from The Creative Bite
Butter Pecan Sweet Potatoes from Liz on Call