Butter swim biscuits are rich, butter-soaked buttermilk biscuits. This easy biscuit recipe takes just minutes to make!
Butter swim biscuits are butter-soaked, buttermilk biscuits. These biscuits are so rich and tasty!
The biscuits are also so easy to make. They take about 10 minutes to prep and only about 35 minutes total.
Butter swim biscuits make a great side for hearty meals like chili and beef stew. They are also topped with jam or honey for breakfast.
What are butter swim biscuits?
Butter swim biscuits are buttermilk biscuits that bake in a pool of butter. The butter helps to form a rich, buttery crust on the biscuits.
How to make butter swim biscuits
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 450°F.
Step 2: Add flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt to a medium bowl. Whisk the dry ingredients together until combined.
Step 3: Add the buttermilk and whisk in until just incorporated.
Step 4: Pour the melted butter into an 8×8-inch baking dish.
Step 5: Drop spoonfuls of biscuit dough over the butter and gently spread out.
Step 6: Cut the unbaked biscuit dough into 9 squares.
Step 7: Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until the top of the biscuits are golden brown.
Step 8: Let the biscuits sit for about 5-10 minutes or until the butter has soaked in.
- Flour: It’s important to properly measure the flour. Either weigh the flour or sift/stir it to break it up. Lightly spoon into the measuring cup and level. Too much flour will cause heavy or dense biscuits.
- Buttermilk: Low-fat or full-fat buttermilk will work. If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make a homemade buttermilk substitute.
- Butter: I use salted butter in this recipe.
Store any leftover biscuits in an airtight container. The biscuits are best eaten when fresh but will keep for about 2-3 days when properly stored.
More quick bread recipes!
If you’ve tried this butter swim biscuit recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
You can subscribe to receive my latest recipe newsletters or follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for even more delicious food.
Butter Swim Biscuits
- 8×8-inch metal baking dish
- 2 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ½ cup butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Add flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt to a medium bowl.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together until combined.
- Add the buttermilk and whisk in until just incorporated.
- Pour the melted butter into an 8×8-inch baking dish.
- Drop spoonfuls of biscuit dough over the butter and gently spread out.
- Cut the unbaked biscuit dough into 9 squares.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until the top of the biscuits are golden brown.
- Let the biscuits sit for about 5-10 minutes or until the butter has soaked in.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @i_heart_eating and follow on Youtube @katedean and Pinterest @katedean for more!
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!
Comments & Reviews
Oh my goodness these biscuits were the best! We loved the buttery crust an soft delicious inside. I will definitely make them again.