Farro and creamy coconut milk combine with sweet mango slices in this Coconut Mango Breakfast Farro recipe for the ultimate breakfast treat!
I'm not one to eat the right foods at the right time of day. I love breakfast for dinner and vice versa.
And I certainly wouldn't pass up a chance to have dessert for breakfast!
This Coconut Mango Breakfast Farro recipe gives you all rich and comforting flavors of one of my favorite desserts - rice pudding - in a yummy breakfast bowl.
Farro is a great way to add protein to your diet. With 7g of protein per serving, farro is a yummy way to enjoy a hot breakfast and to add that extra protein.
What is farro?
Farro is a grain, and it has twice the protein and fiber as modern wheat. Along with fiber and protein, farro has Vitamin B3, which aids in metabolizing carbohydrates, fats, and proteins.
How to use farro
Farro is really versatile and can be used in soups, salads, stews, or cooked just like risotto. It also makes a fantastic breakfast.
For this recipe, I wanted to re-create a dessert that I like - mango sticky rice - in a better-for-you breakfast form.
I swapped out the rice for farro, used lite coconut milk in place of the full-fat version, and used agave nectar in place of granulated sugar.
The result was a lightly sweetened, creamy bowl of nutty farro that would stand up to any rich and decadent breakfast. It's also hearty enough that you won't be hungry five minutes after you eat.
More healthy recipes!
- Overnight Crock Pot Carrot Cake Oatmeal
- Slow Cooker Overnight Pecan Pie Oatmeal Recipe
- Sticky Bun Chia Seed Pudding
- Roasted Garlic Edamame Hummus
If you’ve tried this coconut mango breakfast farro recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes!
Coconut Mango Breakfast Farro Recipe
- 1 cup Farro Perlato
- 3 cups lite coconut milk
- ¼ cup agave nectar
- ½ mango (sliced)
- Add farro and coconut milk to large saucepan, and stir to combine.
- Bring to boil over medium-low heat.
- Once at a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Farro should be soft and a little chewy.
- Remove from heat, and stir in agave nectar.
- Top with sliced mango and additional agave nectar and coconut milk, if desired.