Best cowboy cookies! This easy cowboy cookie recipe makes chewy oatmeal cookies packed with coconut, pecans, and chocolate chunks.
Sometimes it’s nice to make just a basic oatmeal cookie. Something simple and comforting and easy.
Other times, it’s nice to make a cookie that’s loaded with all sorts of good things – like monster cookies or these cowboy cookies.
These cowboy cookies are soft, chewy oatmeal cookies that have plenty of chocolate chunks, pecans, and coconut in them.
What are Cowboy Cookies?
Cowboy cookies are oatmeal cookies that have pecans, chocolate chips or chunks, and coconut in them.
There are lots of variations, and some recipes include peanut butter, corn flakes, M&M’s, or other ingredients.
This cowboy cookie recipe, though, is a traditional recipe that just has the basics in it.
How to Make Cowboy Cookies
Begin by melting the butter. I recommend melting the butter most of the way and then whisking it to finish melting.
It takes 40 seconds in my microwave. You don’t want the butter to be hot and sizzling. It should look like the butter in the second picture once it’s melted.
Next, add the brown sugar.
Whisk in the brown sugar until combined.
Then, add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Whisk in until combined.
Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk in until combined.
Whisk in the oats until combined.
Add the pecans, coconut, and chocolate chunks. Mix in until incorporated.
Scoop the dough and place on prepared baking sheets, spacing about 2-inches apart.
Do I Have to Use Chopped Baking Chocolate?
No, you can use 10-12 ounces semisweet (or milk or bittersweet) chocolate chips instead.
How to Store Cowboy Cookies
Store the cookies in an airtight container or resealable bag.
How Long Will the Cookies Keep?
The cookies will keep for 3-4 days.
More Cookie Recipes!
If you’ve tried this cowboy cookie recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
- 12 tablespoons butter (melted¹)
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour²
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt³
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 4 ounces semisweet baking chocolate⁴ (chopped)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Add the melted butter and brown sugar to a large mixing bowl, and whisk until well-combined.
- Whisk in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until well-combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk in until just combined.
- Whisk in the oats just until incorporated.
- Add the baking chocolate, pecans, and coconut, and whisk in until combined.
- Drop by 1.5 tablespoon scoops (medium cookie scoops) 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 8-14 minutes. The cookies should be light golden brown at the edges but look underdone in the middle. This will help to keep them soft and chewy.⁵
- I recommend melting the butter most of the way and then whisking to finish melting the butter. It takes about 40 seconds in my microwave.
- Be sure to either weigh or sift or stir the flour, lightly spoon into the measuring cup, and then level to avoid packing in the flour.
- Or 1/4 teaspoon table salt.
- Or 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- Overbaking the cookies will give you a crunchier cookie.
- Nutrition values are estimates.