Crock Pot Red Beans and Rice are an easy, inexpensive, healthy, filling dinner recipe. Great way to use leftover ham bone or ham hock in a whole new meal!
Beans make a great meal. They are inexpensive, healthy, and filling. We eat bean dishes regularly because I use them to stretch our food budget, and I can always count on my family to eat them.
Red beans and rice has always been a favorite of mine. I love this crock pot version for the times when I have all day to let it simmer, and I also love this skillet red beans and rice for when I'm shorter on time.
This Crock Pot Red Beans and Rice recipe is also a great dish to make after Easter or Christmas (or anytime you make a ham) because you can save the ham bone to give this recipe lots of extra flavor.
How to make crock pot red beans and rice
Place all of the ingredients except for the sausage and liquid smoke into the crock pot insert. Cover and cook on high for 6-8 hours.
In the last 30 minutes, stir in the sausage and liquid smoke. Remove the ham bone or ham hocks.
If you want a thicker sauce, mash part of the beans and stir them back into the sauce. Serve over cooked white rice.
- Bring the heat! If you like things on the hotter side, you can up the spice in this recipe by increasing the Cajun seasoning and using the Andouille sausage. Also, feel free to use hot sauce to taste.
- Make it mild! We like some spice, but I keep it on the milder side for the kids. My husband especially likes spicy food, but when we used 2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning our noses were running. It was a bit too much. So, adjust away, but a little of the seasoning goes a long way.
- Prep ahead! To speed up the morning prep, chop the veggies and garlic the night before and store in a covered container in the fridge.
Any leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The leftovers should keep for up to 4 days when properly stored.
More crock pot dinner recipes!
If you’ve tried this crock pot red beans and rice recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes!
Crock Pot Red Beans and Rice
- 1 ham bone or ham hock
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium yellow or white onion chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 pound dried small red beans rinsed and picked over
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 14 ounces Andouille sausage or smoked kielbasa sliced
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- Place ingredients except sausage and liquid smoke into a crock pot.
- Cook on high for 6-8 hours, or until beans are tender.
- In the last 30 minutes, stir in sausage and liquid smoke.
- Remove the ham bone or ham hocks.
- If you want a thicker sauce, smash some of the beans, and stir back into the sauce.
- Serve over cooked white rice.
- *If you'd like to speed up the morning prep, chop the veggies and mince the garlic the night before.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Originally published 10/9/12. Updated with new photo and tips 12/28/19.