Frito Chili Pie is an easy dinner recipe that can be made in either a crock pot or on the stove top!
Sometimes you just need some comfort food. If that food is topped with cheese and chips, so much the better. Since I’m trying to take off my post pregnancy weight, I cut down on the amount of cheese (just enough to dust over the top) and chips (a small handful).
The chili was already fairly healthy, and I found that I didn’t miss the extra chips and cheese. If you like to keep the chips crunchier, spoon the chili over the chips because it keeps the chips from getting soggy.
I’ve included directions for preparing this in the crock pot or on the stove. Either way, this Frito Chili Pie is a delicious, easy dinner!
More easy chili recipes!
For this recipe, I used…
Kate/i heart eating is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, she earns from qualifying purchases. This participation does not constitute an endoresement of this site by Amazon.
Frito Chili Pie – Crockpot or Stove
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 10 ounce can Ro-tel (undrained)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1-2 tablespoon chili powder (more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chipotle Tabasco sauce
- 14 ounce can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 14 ounce can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 bag of Fritos
- grated sharp cheddar cheese (sour cream, lettuce, or any other desired toppings)
- Brown ground beef in a pot over medium-high heat.
- Drain ground beef, and add garlic to ground beef. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- CROCK POT: Add browned ground beef to 5 qt or larger crockpot with tomato sauce, Rotel, salt, oregano, cumin, chili powder, Tabasco, and beans. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours before serving stir.
- Add in cornmeal and water, if necessary.
- Cover, and cook an additional 30-60 minutes.
- STOVE TOP: Add tomato sauce, Rotel, salt, oregano, cumin, chili powder, Tabasco, and beans to the browned ground beef. Stir to combine.
- Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally, for at least 1 hour.
- Mix corn meal with water, and then add to the chili. Stir to combine and simmer for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- I like to top my chili with the Fritos so that they stay crunchy, but you can top Fritos with chili. Add any other desired toppings, and enjoy!
adapted from momswithcrockpots.com