Best marbled banana bread recipe! This easy chocolate swirl banana bread recipe is so simple to make. Includes tips for foolproof swirls.
I love to make swirled desserts! I took my popular banana bread recipe and decided to use the swirling technique from my marble bundt cake to make a moist banana bread with a rich chocolate swirl throughout the bread.
This banana bread is both pretty and tasty! It’s also really easy to make, and this swirling technique makes perfect swirls.
How to Make Marbled Banana Bread
Melt the butter in a large, microwave-safe mixing bowl. Whisk in the mashed banana until well-combined.
Whisk in sugars until incorporated. Add egg and vanilla, and whisk until well-combined. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt until combined.
Remove 1 cup of batter to a separate mixing bowl. Whisk in cocoa powder and milk until combined.
Pour 1/4 of the plain batter into the prepared pan. Top the batter with 2 tablespoons chocolate batter. Continue alternating batters on top of each other until you’ve used up both batters.
Give the pan a couple of gentle taps but don’t stir. Bake for 40-60 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Butter: The butter should just barely be melted. It shouldn’t be hot and sizzling.
- Bananas: You’ll need about 2 very ripe bananas, peeled. I like to use bananas that are brown and spotted but not black.
- Flour: It’s important to properly measure the flour in order to avoid heavy or doughy bread. To properly measure the flour, stir it to break it up. Then lightly spoon it into the measuring up and level it off.
- Cocoa powder: I use regular unsweetened cocoa powder in this recipe.
- Mixing: I recommend mixing the batter by hand to avoid overmixing.
- Swirl: It’s important to layer the batters on top of each other and to tap the pan to level out the batter. Stirring the batter can muddy the swirls.
More Banana Bread Recipes!
If you’ve tried this marbled banana bread recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Marbled Banana Bread
- 1/3 cup butter1 1melted
- 1 cup mashed banana2
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour3 properly measured
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease an 8x4-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk mashed banana and melted butter together until well-combined.
- Whisk in sugars until incorporated.
- Add egg and vanilla, and whisk until well-combined.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt until combined.
- Remove 1 cup of batter to a separate mixing bowl.
- Whisk in cocoa powder and milk until combined.
- Pour 1/4 of the plain batter into the prepared pan.
- Top the batter with 2 tablespoons chocolate batter.
- Continue alternating batters on top of each other until you've used up both batters.
- Give the pan a couple of gentle taps but don't stir.
- Bake for 40-60 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. I check the bread around 30 minutes and tent with foil if it is browning too quickly.
- Let cool in pan for a 5-10 minutes.
- Remove bread to wire cooling rack, and let cool completely before slicing.
- The butter should just barely be melted. I melt it about 80% of the way and then whisk it until its completely melted.
- About 2 very ripe bananas, peeled
- To properly measure the flour, stir it to break it up. Then lightly spoon it into the measuring up and level it off.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @i_heart_eating and follow on Youtube @katedean and Pinterest @katedean for more!
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!
Comments & Reviews
Lucky me says
Just made the marbled banana bread. Sliced a warm piece of banana bread and had it with cream cheese. It was fabulous!
Thank you! I’m really glad that you liked it. Thanks for commenting!
Very innovative work. Great utilization of resources!!