Foolproof molten chocolate cake recipe! Individual chocolate lava cakes have warm chocolate fudge inside. Great Valentine’s Day dessert!
Oh, how I love molten chocolate cake!! These little cakes are so rich and soooooo delicious!
They are one of my go-to recipes when I need a “fancy” dessert because they never fail to impress. I made these molten chocolate cakes for dessert the first time I cooked for my husband, and my family still goes crazy for them every time I make them.
Even though these cakes look (and taste) like a restaurant-quality dessert, they are so easy to make. They’re also really easy to prep ahead, so you can make them and then bake them when you’re ready.
How To Make Molten Chocolate Cake
In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chocolate and butter for 1 minute, or until the butter has melted.
Whisk until completely melted and mixed together. Add the powdered sugar and whisk in.
Whisk in the eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla. Add flour and whisk in just until combined.
Divide batter among ramekins. Bake.
- Chocolate: I recommend using a baking chocolate bar, like Baker’s Chocolate or Ghirardelli.
- Butter: I like to use salted butter in this recipe. You can use unsalted butter with a pinch of salt, if you prefer.
- Baking: Slightly underbaking the cakes is key to keeping the molten center. As you can see in the picture above, the cake should look done around the edges but still look soft and a little underbaked in the center.
- Toppings: Raspberries, whipped cream, and powdered sugar all go well with these cakes.
Molten chocolate cakes are easy to make, and they can be made a day ahead of time, which is perfect for times when you’re entertaining.
Just follow the recipe through step 7. Then, cover with plastic wrap and place the ramekins in the fridge until you’re ready to bake them.
Set the ramekins out while you preheat the oven, uncover, and bake as directed.
More Chocolate Cake Recipes!
If you’ve tried this molten chocolate cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Molten Chocolate Cake
- 4 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar plus more for dusting
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks from large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Grease 4 ramekins. I use 6 ounce ramekins.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate and butter on high for 1 minute, or until butter has melted.
- Whisk together butter and chocolate until chocolate has melted and is incorporated.
- Add the powdered sugar, and whisk until combined.
- Whisk in the eggs, yolks, and vanilla until well-combined.
- Add flour, and whisk until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared ramekins.
- Set ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the edges are firm but the center is still soft.
- Let the cakes stand for 1 minute.
- Run a thin knife around the edge to loosen cakes, and invert onto plate.
- Dust with additional powdered sugar, if desired, and serve warm.
- To make ahead: Just follow the recipe through step 7. Then, cover with plastic wrap and place the ramekins in the fridge until you're ready to bake them. Set the ramekins out while you preheat the oven, uncover, and bake as directed.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Originally published 3/1/13. Updated with new photos and tips 1/29/20.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!