Molten chocolate mug cake makes two moist chocolate cakes with warm molten centers. This recipe takes less than 10 minutes to make from scratch!
Molten chocolate cake is hard to pass up! Moist chocolate cake with a warm, melty chocolate center. It’s pretty much dessert perfection.
This molten chocolate mug cake is a short-cut way to get that same kind of cake.
The cake is moist with a warm molten chocolate center, and it isn’t overly eggy and spongy like some microwave cakes.
I recommend serving it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.
What size mug is best to use?
First, be sure that whatever mug you’re using is microwave-safe.
I like to use a 16-ounce mug.
You can use a 12-ounce mug, but it can take longer to cook, and you’ll need to watch the cake as it bakes to make sure that it doesn’t spill over.
Can I microwave it at 100% (full) power?
That depends. You can do it, but the molten chocolate center will largely be absorbed into the cake.
So, if you want the molten center, be sure to cook it at 50% power.
How long will the mug cake last?
The cake is best eaten while warm. You can cover and store the cake at room temperature for up to 2 days.
More chocolate cake recipes!
If you’ve tried this molten chocolate mug cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Molten Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate¹ chopped
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour²
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ounce semisweet or bittersweet chocolate in 4 pieces
- Microwave butter and chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl at 50% power³ until melted, about 1 minute.
- Stir in sugar, eggs, cocoa, vanilla, and salt.
- Add flour and baking powder, and whisk in.
- Divide the batter between 2 12-16 ounce⁴ microwave-safe mugs.
- Place mugs on microwave turntable.
- Microwave at 50% power for 45 seconds.
- Stir batter and microwave for another 45 seconds at 50% power.
- Press 2 pieces of chocolate into the center of each cake. No need to press down. They should sink in on their own.
- Microwave at 50% power for 60-90 seconds.
- Cake should pull away from the edge of the mug when done.
- Let sit 2 minutes before serving.
- Can substitute semisweet chocolate chocolate.
- It's important to properly measure the flour. Either weigh the flour, or sift or stir it, lightly spoon into measuring cup, and then level. Too much flour will give you a dry or dense cake.
- Microwaving at full powder will take less time. However, the chocolate will get absorbed into the cake, and you won't get a molten center.
- I like to use a 16-ounce mug because it allows more room for the cake to expand. A 12-ounce mug will work, but keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't spill over as it cooks.
- Microwave wattages vary, and cooking times will vary according to the wattage.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @i_heart_eating and follow on Youtube @katedean and Pinterest @katedean for more!
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!
Comments & Reviews
My favourite (and the easiest, if you know your microwave), most delicious and most consistent molten lava cake recipe – have made it for company, who loved it, too! Sometimes I have to make it up in the middle of the afternoon!
Best mug cake ever!
Thanks! I’m so glad that you liked it. Thanks for commenting! =)
PJ Miller says
Delicious! We enjoyed it as a decadent late night treat. Out of vanilla extract, I subbed almond extract instead. We had hand crafted bourbon vanilla bean ice cream with it. Yup and yum. Thanks for the recipe!