When I was pregnant, people would ask if I was having strange cravings.
I guess I never thought that the cravings I had were strange because I always have crazy cravings.
That’s how this recipe, like nearly every other recipe on here, began – with a craving.
Out of nowhere, I just had to have oatmeal cookies with peanut butter filling.
The cookies that I had in mind were the Doh-Si-Dohs from my Girl Scout days.
Normally, I don’t like crunchy cookies very much, but those Girl Scouts make a mean oatmeal peanut butter cookie.
I haven’t come across any girls selling cookies in ages, so I had to see what I could do.
These cookies were ridiculously good – like super-duper good.
So, until I can manage to find the real thing, I will be making (lots and lots of) these.
More peanut butter cookie recipes!
If you’ve tried this oatmeal cookie with peanut butter filling recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Oatmeal Cookies with Peanut Butter Filling
- 1/2 cup butter at cool room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars together until light and creamy.
- Beat in the egg until well-combined.
- Stir in the vanilla extract until combined.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, stirring on low speed until just incorporated.
- Drop cookies by tablespoonful onto prepared baking sheets, spacing dough about 2-inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until they’re golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes.
- Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before filling.
- To prepare the filling, beat together butter, peanut butter, and powdered sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Add milk, and beat to combine. Filling should be at a spreadable consistency.
- Once cookies are cool, turn half cookies flat side up.
- Spread those cookies with peanut butter filling.
- Top filling with another cookie.