Pecan pie pudding cake is a cobbler cake with that that makes its own pecan pie pudding as it bakes. Great Thanksgiving dessert that isn’t pie!
Pudding cakes are awesome! Sometimes called “cobblers” or “cobbler cakes”, these yummy desserts practically make themselves.
You just mix up the cake batter and top it with the sauce ingredients. Then pour water over the top, and they make their own sauce while they bake. It’s like delicious magic!
This pecan pie pudding cake has a layer of cake that bakes on top of the pecan pie pudding layer. The buttery edges are my favorite part of this cake.
It’s perfect on its own or topped with a little whipped cream or ice cream, and it makes an easy Thanksgiving dessert that has the flavors of pecan pie without the work.
How to make pecan pie pudding cake
For the pecan pie pudding cake, begin by whisking the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt) together.
Whisk in the milk and vanilla to make a thick batter.
Pour the melted butter into the bottom of the baking dish. Then spread the batter over the butter.
The easiest way to do this is to drop dollops of batter over the butter and then carefully spread them together.
Then, the batter is topped with pecans and brown sugar. Finally, hot water is poured over the top of the whole thing.
Tips for making this pudding cake
The batter for this cake is on the thicker side. Be careful when measuring your flour because too much flour will give you a cake batter that’s really difficult to work with.
If that does happen, simply thin the batter out a little with more milk until it’s spreadable. You just won’t want the batter to be too thin because there’s liquid under it (melted butter) and on top of it (the hot water). So, a thin batter wouldn’t hold up.
Also, it’s really tempting to want to stir the water in, but don’t do it! The water mixes with the brown sugar to help create the pudding layer.
More Pecan Pie recipes!
More pudding cake recipes!
If you’ve tried this pecan pie pudding cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Pecan Pie Pudding Cake
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk**
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 1/2 cups hot water***
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Pour melted butter into a 9x13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together.
- Make a well in the center.
- Add milk and vanilla extract, and whisk until just combined. Batter will be on the thicker side.
- Add batter to pan.****
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and then pecans.
- Pour hot water over the top. DO NOT STIR.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the top looks set. You will see the pudding bubbling up in spots, and that's ok.
- Let sit 10 minutes before serving. The pudding portion will continue to thicken as it sits.
Heavily adapted from Taste of Home.