Best puppy chow recipe! This easy puppy chow AKA muddy buddies recipe uses just 6 simple ingredients and is loaded with chocolate and peanut butter!
This is the perfect time of year for popcorn and snack mixes!
Snack mixes are also great party treats! This puppy chow (muddy buddy) recipe makes a quick chocolate peanut butter cereal snack or dessert that’s always a hit.
How to make puppy chow (muddy buddies)
Begin by placing the butter in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 40 seconds to partially melt butter.
Add peanut butter and chocolate chips, and stir in.
Continue to microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring after every 15 seconds, until chocolate has completely melted.
Stir in vanilla extract to combine.
I combine the cereal and chocolate mixture in two additions because it’s easiest to coat the cereal this way without breaking it.
Add half of the cereal to a large mixing bowl. Pour half of the chocolate mixture over the cereal, and gently toss to coat cereal.
Add remaining half cereal, and pour remaining chocolate mixture over the cereal. Carefully toss to coat cereal with chocolate mixture.
Place the powdered sugar in a large resealable bag. Working in batches, add the cereal to the bag, seal, and gently shake to coat the ceral in powdered sugar.
Let cool to room temperature before storing.
How to store puppy chow (muddy buddies)
Store the puppy chow in a sealable bag at room temperature for up to 1 week.
More recipes using Chex cereal!
If you’ve tried this puppy chow recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Puppy Chow Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips¹
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter²
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 9 cups Chex rice cereal³
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Place the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 40 seconds. The butter should be partially melted.
- Add the chocolate chips and peanut butter. Stir in.
- Return to microwave, and continue to microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring every 15 seconds, until chocolate is just melted.
- Stir to completely combine.
- Add vanilla, and stir in.
- Add half of the cereal to a large bowl.
- Pour half of the chocolate/peanut butter mixture over the cereal, and carefully toss to coat cereal.
- Add remaining half cereal to bowl, and pour remaining half chocolate/peanut butter mixture over the top.
- Carefully toss to coat the cereal.
- Add powdered sugar to a large, resealable plastic bag.
- Working in batches, add cereal, seal bag, and then gently shake to coat cereal in powdered sugar.
- Let cool to room temperature before storing.
- I use semisweet chocolate chips. You can use milk chocolate chips if you like sweeter puppy chow.
- I don't recommend natural peanut butter in this recipe.
- You can use corn Chex or a combination of corn and rice Chex.
- Nutrition values are estimates.