‘Tis the season for peppermint!
My favorite candy canes – the chocolate mint kind – were the inspiration for this yummy, festive treat.
This Whipped Peppermint Buttercream Frosting is light and fluffy with just enough peppermint flavor to make it minty without going overboard. This frosting is also made without powdered sugar, so it’s great for those times when you don’t have any in the house.
More frosting recipes!
Whipped Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½-1 teaspoon peppermint extract* (, not mint extract)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups salted butter, at cool room temperature
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk and heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens. It will be the consistency of a thick pancake batter or a thick paste. It shouldn't look wet.
- Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Stir in vanilla and desired amount of peppermint extract.
- While the mixture is cooling, cream the butter, sugar, and salt together until light and fluffy on medium high, about 5 minutes.
- Then add the completely cooled milk mixture. Make sure that the mixture isn't warmed than room temp or it will melt your butter mixture.
- Beat it for about 5 minutes on medium-high to high until it looks like whipped cream. It may look separated at first, so keep beating it until it comes together and looks like a whipped cream.