Delicious homemade 30 minute honey wheat rolls that are made from scratch in about half an hour. Easy recipe for busy weeknights or holidays!
One of my favorite (and one of the most popular) recipes on i heart eating is my 60 Minute Dinner Rolls. Sometimes, though, one hour is still too long wait for fresh, hot rolls.
These 30 Minute Honey Wheat Rolls are ready - start to finish - in about 30 minutes. So, they're perfect for those nights when you want some fresh bread but don't have a lot of time.
Unlike a lot of whole wheat rolls, these rolls are soft - thanks to the mixture of whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour.
The rolls also have a mild honey flavor which works really nicely with the nutty whole wheat flour.
How to Make 30 Minute Honey Wheat Rolls
Can I use active dry yeast?
Yes! You can use an equal amount of active dry yeast.
Just wait for 5-10 minutes for the yeast to foam up after step 5. Then continue with the recipe as written.
Can I use low-fat milk?
You can! Anything from skim milk to whole milk will work in these whole wheat rolls.
More quick roll recipes!
If you’ve tried this 30 Minute Honey Wheat Roll recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
30 Minute Honey Wheat Rolls
- ⅓ cup butter plus extra for brushing on
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ - 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 400 Lightly grease a half sheet pan or a 9x13-inch rimmed cookie sheet.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter.
- When butter is mostly melted, stir in milk, and heat mixture to 100-110 F.
- Meanwhile, add yeast and honey to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or a large mixing bowl if mixing by hand).
- When milk mixture is at temperature, add to yeast and honey; stir to combine.
- Add salt and egg, and stir until combined.
- Stir in all-purpose flour.
- Add 1 cup whole wheat flour, and stir in.
- Add remaining whole wheat flour until dough clings to paddle and cleans the sides of the bowl. Dough will still be pretty sticky.
- With lightly floured hands, shape dough into 12 rolls, and place dough on prepared baking sheet.
- Cover, and let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
Recipe published 7/29/13. Recipe updated with new photos and information 7/5/18.