Moist banana muffins topped with a sweet crumb topping. These banana streusel muffins make a great breakfast or dessert.
These muffins are moist banana muffins that are topped with a sweet crumb/streusel topping. They’re easy to mix by hand (and I recommend making them that way), and they take less than 30 minutes total from start to finish to make.
How to make banana crumb muffins
To make the crumb topping, stir the flour, sugar, and cinnamon together. Cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Chill until ready to use. Mash the banana in a large mixing bowl.
Stir in the melted butter and sugars until well-combined. Add the eggs and the vanilla and stir in until combined.
Add the dry ingredients and mix in just until combined. Divided the batter between the prepared muffin tin cups and sprinkle with crumb topping.
- Crumb topping: The butter should be at room temperature so that it mixes in easily. However, because it’s warmer, it’s important to chill the topping so that it doesn’t run while baking. Also, you can press it to get a clumpier topping. The clusters tend to hold their shape a little better as the muffins bake.
- Bananas: I like to use bananas that are equal parts speckled and yellow in this recipe.
- Mixing: I recommend mixing this muffin batter by hand. It’s easy to mix, and mixing the batter by hand helps to avoid overmixing.
- Baking: The muffins should spring back when lightly pressed. Also, a wooden toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
These muffins can be stored at room temperature in a resealable container for up to 3 days.
More muffin recipes!
If you’ve tried this banana crumb muffin recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Banana Crumb Muffins
- Muffin tin
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups mashed overripe banana 3 large bananas
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the crumb topping, stir the flour, sugar, and cinnamon together in a medium bowl.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter (or fork) it forms small pebble-sized crumbs.
- Chill the crumb topping while you make the muffin batter.
- To make the muffins, preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a standard 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick baking spray or line with muffin liners. I like to use a baking spray with flour or parchment paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas until well-mashed.
- Stir in the melted butter and sugars until well-combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla, and mix in until combined.
- Stir in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt just until combined.
- Divide the muffin batter among the prepared muffin tin cups.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the batter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cook in the pan for 5-10 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!