My kids love granola bars, and the s’mores granola bars are their favorite flavor (mine, too). These granola bars, though, are more dessert than snack. They’re sort of a cross between a granola bar and a rice krispie treat. They’re total gooey marshmallow and chocolate yumminess and are best while they’re still a little warm. However, if you’d like a more traditional granola bar, simply omit the marshmallows from the top of the bars.
S’mores Granola Bars
- 3 c . rolled oats
- 2 c . crisp rice cereal ((like Rice Krispies))
- 6 T . granulated sugar
- ¼ c . butter
- ¼ c . corn syrup
- 2 T . water
- ¼ teaspoon . salt
- 1 ½ c . miniature marshmallows (, divided)
- ¾ c . miniature chocolate chips
- ½ c . marshmallow bits
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch pan.
- Add the oats to the prepared baking pan, and toast for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- While the oats are toasting, add the cereal and half mini marshmallows to a large bowl.
- Once the oats have toasted, toss oats and cereal together; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, stir together sugar, butter, corn syrup, water, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, and continue boiling until mixture reaches 250 F, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the syrup over oat mixture, and toss to combine.
- Pour the cereal mixture into the pan, and, using a rubber spatula, gently press into the baking pan.
- Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips, marshmallow bits, and then remaining mini marshmallows over the cereal mixture in that order.
- Bake for 3-4 minutes, or until marshmallows are puffed and golden brown.
- Let the bars cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Cut into bars or squares while it’s still a little warm. Once the bars cool to room temperature, they will be more difficult to cut.
adapted from The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion