These 60 Minute Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls are the whole wheat version of my 60 Minute Dinner Rolls. They’re super easy to make, and you end up with delicious, fresh dinner rolls in just one hour. And, really, you can’t beat that!
60 Minute Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
- 1/4 c . low-fat milk
- 2 T . granulated sugar
- 1/3 c . butter divided
- 3 ½ tsp . dry active yeast
- 3/4 c . warm water (105F – 115F)
- 1 ¼ - 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 c . whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp . salt
- Grease a 12-cup muffin tin; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, stir milk, sugar, and 3 tablespoons butter together.
- Heat over low heat just until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Cool to about 100-105 F.
- Pour the milk mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the yeast and warm water. Let stand for 5-10 minutes, or until yeast is foamy.
- Add 1 cup each all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour and salt to yeast mixture.
- Using a dough hook, mix on low speed for about 1 minute.
- With the mixer still going, add remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time.
- Mix about 1 ½ minutes, or until dough starts to clean the sides of the bowl.
- Knead on low speed for about 2 more minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic – the dough will still be slightly sticky to the touch.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning it to grease the top. Cover the dough with a clean, dry dish towel.
- Let it rise in a warm place, free from draft, for about 15 minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 12 equal pieces.
- Form each piece into a ball, and cut each ball into thirds.
- Place 3 dough balls in each muffin cup.
- Cover the muffin pan with the dish towel, and let the dough rise for about 15 minutes.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Set aside
- Bake at 425ºF for 9-12 minutes, or until the rolls are golden brown.
- Brush rolls with melted butter.
- Remove from pans, and cool on wire racks.
- Nutrition values are estimates.