Cranberry Apple Crisp takes the best of sweet apple crisp and adds a tart cranberry twist! The fruit is topped with a delicious brown sugar oatmeal topping for a deliciously comforting dessert.
Every fall I look forward to apples, pumpkins, and cranberries. One of my favorite muffin recipes even uses all three together!
This cranberry apple crisp recipe takes old-fashioned apple crisp and adds a tart twist. The cranberries and orange zest brighten up the filling and add a lovely contrasting zip.
I love the cranberry apple crisp as-is, but my husband swears that it's best served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Either way, this crisp is a super comforting dessert.
How to make cranberry apple crisp
This is a really easy dessert! Start by tossing the cranberries, apple slices, orange zest, flour, and sugar together.
Then, pour the fruit filling into the prepared pan.
Next, you'll mix the topping ingredients together, and sprinkle the topping over the fruit. Then, bake!
Do I have to include the orange zest?
No, you don't have to use the orange zest. I find that it adds a brightness to the fruit filling, but feel free to leave it out if you prefer.
Can I use frozen cranberries?
You can! You can substitute an equal amount of frozen cranberries for the fresh cranberries.
Can I use a different type of apple?
You can. You can use a different type of baking apple if you prefer. If you use a sweeter baking apple, you may find that you want to reduce the amout of sugar in the filling.
Tips for making cranberry apple crisp
- If you like a clumpier topping, feel free to press the topping into crumbles before sprinkling over the top of the fruit.
- If you find that your topping is browning too quickly, tent with aluminum foil.
More crisp recipes!
If you’ve tried this cranberry apple crisp recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Cranberry Apple Crisp
- 3 cups peeled and sliced tart baking apples (like Granny Smith)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries¹
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest (optional)
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar (packed)
- ½ cup butter (melted²)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease an 8x11-inch baking dish (or 7x11).
- In a large bowl, toss apples, cranberries, sugar, flour, and orange zest together.
- Pour into a prepared baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix topping ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over apple mixture. You can press crumbles together and drop over apples or just sprinkle.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until fruit is bubbly and topping is lightly browned.
- You can substitute an equal amount of frozen cranberries.
- The butter should be just melted but not hot.
- Want to try this in the slow cooker? Check out my slow cooker cranberry apple crisp recipe.
- Nutrition values are estimates.