White chicken chili recipe that's made entirely in the Instant Pot! This white bean chicken chili is a quick recipe that tastes like it took hours to make.
I grew up eating white chicken chili, and I love the combination of flavors!
This white bean chicken chili is made the way that I like it - some spice and a little heat. If you like more spice, feel free to play around with the amounts called for in the recipe.
The chili can also be thicker or thinner, depending on your preference (check out the recipe notes below for more information on this).
How to Make White Chicken Chili (in the Instant Pot)
Popular methods for making white chicken chili include on the stove, in a slow cooker, or in a pressure cooker.
This recipe was made using an Instant Pot. The onions and garlic are sautéed, and then the spices and green chiles are added in.
Next, the chicken and chicken broth are added. After cooking, the beans are stirred in. The beans warm through in the hot soup, and this helps to keep the beans from getting mushy.
How to Thicken
If you like a thinner, more soup-like chili, just stir in the beans. If you want a thicker chili, you can mash part (or all) of the beans before stirring them in.
I like to serve this chili with fresh cilantro and a generous sprinkle of shredded Monterrey Jack cheese. Other popular toppings include sour cream, tortilla strips, and fresh avocado slices.
What Goes Well With This Chili
More Instant Pot Recipes!
More Chili Recipes!
If you’ve tried this Instant Pot White Chicken Chili recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes!
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped white or yellow onion
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 7 ounces diced green chiles1 undrained
- 3-3 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken in large chunks
- 2-15 ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2-15 ounce cans Great Northern beans drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Monterrey Jack cheese
- Turn Instant Pot on to SAUTE normal.
- Add olive oil, and swirl to coat inner pot.
- Stir in onion, and cook until just beginning to be translucent.
- Add garlic, and cook 30 seconds, stirring regularly.
- Stir in cumin, coriander, and oregano.
- Add green chiles with their liquid, and cook, stirring regularly, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Turn off.
- Place chicken pieces over green chile mixture, and pour chicken broth over the chicken.
- Close the lid, and make sure the pressure release valve is turned to "SEALING".
- Turn Instant Pot to MANUAL pressure and adjust time to 25 minutes.
- Once the pot reaches pressure, it will begin counting down. The pot should reach pressure within 10-15 minutes.
- Once it has finished cooking, quick pressure release2, and then remove lid.
- Stir in drained beans.3
- Using two forks, carefully shred chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro and grated Monterrey Jack cheese. Other topping ideas include fresh avocado slices and tortilla strips.
- If you like more green chile flavor, add an additional 4 ounce can diced green chiles. If you like more heat, use hot green chiles.
- For a quick pressure release, simply (and carefully) turn the pressure release valve from SEALING to VENTING.
- If you'd like a thicker chili, mash half of the beans before stirring them in.
- WW Freestyle Points (without cheese): 0.
- Nutrition values are estimates.