Wacky cake (depression cake or crazy cake) is a light and fluffy one bowl chocolate cake. This is how to make cake without eggs or dairy!
As much as I love making dessert, there are days when I just don’t have time to spend baking an elaborate dessert.
Other times, I go to bake a cake and find that I’m out of eggs (or butter or both!).
This wacky cake recipe is a light and fluffy one bowl chocolate cake that’s the perfect dessert for those times! It only takes about 5 minutes of prep, is both egg-free and dairy-free.
What is wacky cake
Wacky cake is sometimes called crazy cake, depression cake, or WWII cake.
It’s a simple chocolate cake that’s made without eggs, milk, or butter. The wacky cake recipe supposedly came about during WWII when items like eggs and butter were rationed.
How to make wacky cake
The “wacky” in wacky cake comes not only from the lack of dairy and eggs but also from the method for making the cake.
There are two ways to make this cake – one in a bowl and one in the baking pan. I prefer to make it in a bowl because I’ve found that it’s easier to remove the cake from a greased cake pan.
What frosting goes well with wacky cake
I like to use my chocolate buttercream frosting with this cake. The rich chocolate buttercream pairs well with this cake because the cake isn’t overly rich or sweet.
Or you can skip the frosting and just dust the cake with a little powdered sugar.
How to store wacky cake
I store the cake, covered, at room temperature. I think it’s best eaten in the first 2 days that it’s made (but I don’t think that most baked good are very good by day 3).
More vintage chocolate cake recipes!
If you’ve tried this wacky cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil*
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- Preheat 350 degrees F.
- Place the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt) in a bowl.
- Make 3 small holes in the mixture.
- Pour the vanilla in one hole, the vinegar in another and vegetable oil in another.
- Pour water over the top, and whisk to combine.
- Pour into a lightly greased 8x8-inch metal baking pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan.