Easy homemade strawberry sauce is made with just 3 ingredients. This delicious sauce makes a great topping for cheesecake, ice cream, and more!
Homemade strawberry sauce tastes like summer! It takes just 3 simple ingredients to make this easy but delicious strawberry topping.
Adding this sauce to breakfast or dessert is a great way to take everything from buttermilk pancakes to angel food cake up a notch.
- Strawberries: This sauce is best made with fresh strawberries during strawberry season.
- Sugar: You can vary the amount of sugar depending on how sweet your strawberries are and on how sweet you like sauce.
- Lemon juice: The lemon juice helps to brighten and balance out the sauce.
How to make strawberry topping from scratch
Wash the strawberries and remove the stem. Set aside 1/4 cup strawberries.
Cut the remaining strawberries into quarters.
Combine cut strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a saucepan.
Cook over medium-low heat, stirring regularly.
Mash the strawberries as you cook the sauce. I use a potato masher, but you could use a wooden spoon or something similar. Continue to cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.
The sauce will continue to thicken as it sits. Remove from heat.
Chop the remaining 1/4 cup strawberries and stir into sauce.
Store covered in the fridge.
There are lots of ways to change up the flavor of this easy strawberry sauce! Some ideas to get you started are to add
- vanilla extract
- orange juice instead of lemon juice
- almond extract
What to serve with this sauce
Strawberry sauce makes a great topping for all sorts of things! You can serve this it over pancakes, waffles, French toast, or oatmeal for breakfast.
It also goes well with cheesecake (or cheesecake dip), vanilla ice cream or chocolate ice cream, sponge cake, or pound cake.
This sauce should be stored, covered, in an airtight container in the fridge.
More sauces and toppings!
If you’ve tried this homemade strawberry sauce recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more great recipes.
Homemade Strawberry Sauce (Strawberry Topping)
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1/4-1/3 cup granulated sugar depending on desired sweetness
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Wash the strawberries and remove the stem.
- Set aside 1/4 cup strawberries.
- Cut the remaining strawberries into quarters.
- Combine cut strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring regularly.
- Mash the strawberries as you cook the sauce, and continue to cook until thickened, about 10 minutes. The sauce will continue to thicken as it sits.
- Remove from heat.
- Chop the remaining 1/4 cup strawberries and stir into sauce.
- Store covered in the fridge.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @i_heart_eating and follow on Youtube @katedean and Pinterest @katedean for more!
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!
Comments & Reviews
This was easy and delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!